Thursday, July 19, 2007

And so here we are......

A full week has gone by and Rocky is still here. Yesterday I was wondering if we made the right decision. Today, I'm glad he's mine. He really is a sweet boy. HOWEVER.....


The beagle mix that the shelter told us we were adopting....
Well, not so much.

Turns out that our "possibly 30 pound max" beagle mix is actually a "can go anywhere from 50-80 pounds" Treeing Walker Coonhound! DOH! What the.........? How on earth could you possibly mistake a Coonhound for a Beagle? I mean, yeah, the markings and coloring are the same, but come on! That's a 50 pound difference! They don't even look the same! We must have had "SUCKER" written on our foreheads. Hook, line and sinker!


Where are we going to put a 80 pound dog you ask in this teeny tiny little house? Well, all I can say is... Beats the crap out of me!
Good thing he's cute!


The cats appear to be adjusting a little better now too. They have actually gotten off the top of the fridge. They still wont walk near him, but if they are on the couch and he walks past them, they just sit there now and give a great big kitty hisssssssssss instead of scampering away. He just looks at them and wags his tail. Hopefully that will get better too.


After my little meltdown yesterday, I am trying to keep things in perspective. A friend told me not to give up; that it will get easier every day and the reward in the end is immeasurable. Another friend told me to keep my chin up and that once the puppy stuff is done it will be better. Thanks girls, for your words of encouragement. I really needed that. So I took a breath. Wiped my frustrations (and a few tears) away. Brushed myself off and pondered for a while..... Day by day.... week by week..... I am realizing that having a dog is a LOT of work. It takes a lot of time and energy. It takes a lot of money. (first vet visit was today.... WOW!) It completely changes your lifestyle and your social life. Change... Sometimes good, sometimes not. All that aside, there is nothing better than coming home to a good friend who loves unconditionally. And I got to say.... I really love him too!